As we know, Water is the essential natural element for all lives on the earth. Being a human being, water plays a key role in our daily routine life. Even, we can live for some days without food but we cannot imagine surviving a single day without water. According to USGS, up to 60% of the human adult body is water. Therefore, to run the mechanism of this body, we need clean drinking water regularly.
We need water to keep our body hydrated. It flushes out all the toxins from our body. Our kidneys are dependent on sufficient amount of water to function properly and to remove all the waste products from our body. That is why it is recommended to drink about 8-10 glass of water every day. However, very few of us are aware the correct way of drinking water. Just like the rules of eating food, if you can be able to understand the way in which you drink water can seriously be a life-changer.
There are so many myths/doubts associated with the ways we consume water. We drink water whenever our body demands but we do not know how to drink it and when to drink it at random time throughout the day. If we improve our water intake habits, we can improve our health by avoiding so many diseases. In addition, we have to pay more attention to the time of water consumption as if we take it at a wrong time it could lead to many health-related problems.
In this guide, you will get all the pros and cons of drinking water before and after a meal with the addition to the benefits of drinking water in the correct ways throughout the day based on Ayurveda guidelines.
Advantages of Drinking Water before Eating Your Meal:
Most of the people drink water after eating their meal, but according to Ayurveda if a person drinks water just after a meal it could lead to some health issues. Therefore, Ayurveda guide us to drink water half an hour before eating because –
1. It Improves Digestion: In the human body, digestion is a very complex process. It is the breakdown of food into minute particles in the stomach. The water if present in ample amount in the stomach can ease the whole digestion process. Although our body extracts fluid from mouth saliva and other digestive juices present in the stomach. However, if a good quality of water is present in the stomach the process take a less time to complete and we will never face the problem of indigestion again.
2. It Results in Weight Loss: Before eating your meal if you drink water then it will make your appetite full. You will eat less, as you feel full in the stomach because of the water. It increases your metabolism rate, which leads to no accumulation of fat in your body.
3. It Brings Glow to The Skin: By ample amount of water consumption, the water removes all the toxins from the blood, which are causing dullness in your skin. It will produce new body cells and muscle at an increased rate.
4. Helps in Absorb Nutrients into Body: Protein and carbohydrates are two essential nutrients for the body. These provide us with energy boasts and help in the growth process. These two nutrients are useless without water as water helps these nutrients absorb into our body and eliminate any kind of dullness and lethargy.
5. It Prevents from Diabetes: Drinking good quality of water prevents us from high blood sugar levels. It regulates blood sugar level in our body. If our blood sugar level is in control than we automatically, get prevention from diabetes.
6. Reduce Appetite and Calorie Intake: Drinking small quantity of water with meals may help regulate your appetite, prevent overeating and promote weight loss but it does not apply to beverages that contain calories.
Disadvantages of Drinking Water Just after Eating Your Meal:
1. You Will Gain Unnecessary Weight: Digestion is the most important process for health. Without proper digestion, many health issues can occur like heartburn, bloating, lethargy, insatiable cravings, obesity etc.
Drinking water just after your meal dilutes stomach acid and digestive enzymes, which makes it difficult to break down food. Due to this excessive fat start to appear around your waistline, that increases the risk of high blood pressure, cholesterol, and metabolic syndrome.
2. It causes Indigestion: Drinking cold water after eating food can cause indigestion as it changes the consistency of the food that we eat. Food particles become hard when mixed with cold water, which makes the breakdown process even more difficult in the stomach. Stomach has to digest large chunks of food particles makes it a very hard ordeal for the body. Thus leading to acid reflux (a condition in which stomach acid flows backward into the esophagus). It leads to a burning sensation called heartburn.
3. Drinking cold water makes digestive enzymes inactive, therefore; it recommended drinking normal water. Digestive enzymes are very much essential in the whole digestion process. So avoid drinking cold water. Drink normal water, which is not too cold, and not too hot just close enough to our body temperature.
Advantages of Drinking Water at Random Time throughout the Day:
1. In the early morning, after waking up drink two glass of lukewarm water on an empty stomach as it improves the digestive system and removes the toxins that affect the immune system. It purifies the colon and improves your metabolism power and keep you relax and concentrated.
2. Before taking a bath drink one glass of water, it will control your blood pressure.
3. Before drinking tea or coffee if you drink one glass of water it will decrease the acidic level in the stomach and cure acidity problems. When you drink water before drinking tea and coffee and tea it dilutes the acidic levels and thus maintains our body temperature.
4. Before doing exercise drink ample amount of water because it will boost up your energy and you will never face insufficiency of water during exercising. When we exercise, we lose a considerable amount of water through sweating. Drinking enough water before exercises give us enough time to compensate that loss of water.
In the nutshell, Ayurveda says that if you drink water at the right time then it will work like a medicine. Here are some points which illustrates when or how much water to drink during your entire daytime.
- In the morning, drink lukewarm water on an empty stomach just after waking up. It will detox the body and it is good for kidney health.
- Before doing your exercise drink ample amount of water. It will keep your body hydrated and it will maintain your energy level during exercise sessions.
- Before drinking tea and coffee at lunch, drink a glass of water. It prevents acidity.
- Before taking a bath, drink water as your body subjected to an enormous temperature change in the process of bathing. It will control your blood pressure.
- Drink water half an hour before eating your meal. It improves your digestion.
- Drink water whenever you feel tired or lethargic. It will relax your mind.
- Drink water before going to bed at night. It will maintain your body temperature.