Packaged water is a commodity which is essential for the people who have little or no access to other safe sources of water. Many popular brands sell plastic bottled water with the false claim of purity and convenience. People prefer these bottles as they are cheap and easier to carry around. The water in the plastic bottles looks clean and fresh and without any sign of impurity but looks can be deceiving.
There is eye-opening news for all those people who are using bottled water. There is some evidence of the presence of a tiny plastic particle – Microplastic in the plastic bottled water. In a study by Orb Media – a journalism organization, 250 plastic bottles from 11 famous brands have been tested for the amount of toxicity.
The tested brands include Bisleri (Bisleri International), Nestlé Pure Life (Nestlé), Minalba (Grupo Edson Queiroz), Aquafina (PepsiCo), Dasani (Coca-Cola), Epura (PepsiCo), Evian (Danone), Gerolsteiner (Gerolsteiner Brunnen), Aqua (Danone), San Pellegrino (Nestlé) and Wahaha (Hangzhou Wahaha Group).
The microplastic is invisible to the eyes and the Nile Red method is the only way to detect its presence. The experiment revealed that the plastic bottles contain microplastic. Not only this study but yet another study conducted by the State University of New York also found that 93% of the water bottles contain some sort of plastic material. The conclusion from the study suggested that there is an average of 10.4 plastic particles per liter.
According to the report of plastic European Food Safety Authority, about 90% of plastic passes through our body without causing any harm. The remaining 10% is noted to be accumulated in the intestinal wall.
Although there is no concrete proof whether this found microplastic is harmful to human health or not but both these studies alarmed the WHO (World Health Organization) which has now launched a reviewing committee that will assess the potential risks of plastic in drinking water and will take necessary steps to ensure safety measures.